Monday, September 29, 2008

Pumpkin

The Piggly Wiggly and the last Saturday market of the season both offered small pumpkins for pies and dinner. I thought, Why not? I love pumpkin.

I cut my pumpkin into pieces as instructed and microwaved it for dinner. I imagined the richness of flavor, matching its outrageous color. I imagined the weight of fall on my tongue, the early dark and the chill in the air. I imagined the pleasure of the velvety texture on my tongue.

What a disappointment. More tasteless than any squash I've ever eaten. No wonder people put brown sugar in these babies.

According to Yahoo, there are 3,216,000 sites for "choosing a pumpkin for cooking." Next time, I'll give a couple a try before I let me eyes do the shopping.

Still, it was an object of visual beauty.

No comments: