Friday, October 3, 2008

Bazzania Girls' Band

Tonight, my friend Boo and I went to Lorena's, a small coffee shop in Monteagle, for dinner and music by Bazzania, an all woman band (they call themselves girls). Named for liverwort that grows in Fiery Gizzard, Bazzania has six musicians who play old-fashioned music like cowboy songs and folk songs and gospels. All the women play several instruments and some sing. I know four of the women; Boo knows five. Other than two husbands there was an audience of nine -- three at one table, the owner and an employee, Pat and Myrtle (who own the wonderful Tea on the Mountain in Tracy City), and Boo and me. It was a lovely Friday evening's entertainment to cap off a short but demanding work week.
Early on, Boo said, "I didn't know they could play so well." Even if they didn't, the joy they take in making music together would be reward enough for attending a performance.

No comments: