Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Cooperative Gallery at Shenanigans

Behind the restaurant at Shenanigans is a cooperative gallery featuring work by about twenty artists and craftspeople, of whom I am one. Those represented bear the responsibility for setting up shows and cleaning, repairing, and repainting the space. It's fairly popular among folks who eat in Shenanigans, especially on a weekend like this one (Family Weekend). I just did my duty and swept and straightened the shelves. Several visitors asked me some questions about the work and made complimentary comments about the work.

I still feel self-conscious about showing my handmade books in the gallery. Some of them are clever -- Sewanee Serenade and Sunday Fat Cats, for instance, which sell well. On the whole, however, I don't think my work is of the same high quality as that of several other artists (Jeanie Stephenson, Christi Teasley, Sanford McGee, Merissa Tobler, Larry Carden, and Claire Reishman). Happily, however, I sell enough to support my hobby, and that has been my goal all along.

No comments: