Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Organization

Today, in extra-help after school, one of my ninth-grade students said, "That's what I love about this class, Dr. Hood: you're so organized."

I wasn't always. When I first had to teach under a rotating schedule, I was as confused as everyone else. Happily, a former student -- Ashley -- came to my rescue on a visit to the campus. She suggested I ascribe a different color to each class, print a color-coded schedule, and coordinate the colors with the white board markers. She saved me and my students an enormous amount of time.

Now at the beginning of each (and sometimes at the end) of a day, I list the agenda for my classes on the board. Doing so reminds me and the students of what we're doing, saving time and psychic energy for the hard work of learning.

Organization is the key.

No comments: