Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Niceties of Punctuation

Today, a friend asked that I read a draft of an article he was writing about why writing matters. I noticed that he was using the unspaced em dash (think the length of three hyphens) to separate a break in thought, while I typically use the spaced en dash (think two hyphens) and spaces on either side for the same purpose.

We then launched into an email discussion of correctness. A quick search turned up fascinating material pointing to an ongoing controversy suggesting there is no one answer. Chicago Manual of Style says one must use the unspaced em dash;
Cambridge University Press endorses the spaced en dash. To see the difference, go here.

Punctuation delights me for its nuances, peculiarities, and power to inflame conviction. To my friend, I still say spaced en!

No comments: