Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Sweet Home

Some days, I miss Alabama, for family and for food.

In summer, food means fresh peas and beans -- purple hulls, black-eyes, field peas, crowders, lady peas, cream peas, butter beans, limas, fordhooks. Collard, mustard and turnip greens and corn -- especially silver queen or honey and cream. And tomatoes (Tennessee homegrown tomatoes are tasty, but they're just not the same)
, okra, and blackberries. And . . . . peaches.

Oh, the joy of
Chilton County peaches, like these.

My niece brought four as a gift on Saturday, and what a gift. We ate one while they were here. I shared another with friends yesterday.

Today, as a special treat, I are the remaining two slathered with cream for breakfast. Every bite, every bit, I savored -- the slip of flavor swimming with tart sweetness, the orange-red-maroon strings, the darkened nipple around the pit, the gooey goodness collected at the bottom of the
bowl. I ate every morsel and licked every droplet.

Thank you, Jen, for your thoughtfulness and you, Chilton County, for supplying the best peaches I have ever eaten.

No comments: