Saturday, April 28, 2012

Chicks

Today, a bluebird chick poked himself out of the birdhouse and stared out at the world for a long time. I was lucky to be there and to see him.  I came closer and closer and closer until finally his parents, hunting elsewhere in the yard, sensed me and returned.  For another good while, one sat atop a windchime on my deck while the other chirped from a tree near the satellite dish.  I backed up bit by bit till finally the father flew down to the house, protecting his chick.
I am not a parent myself, but I know that feeling of protection and love.  Today, I have been thinking of my niece, whose birthday this is.  She messaged me, "Can you believe I'm 40?"  And I responded, "Well, yes and no."

I see her daughter
and I see her too.
She's still a little chick to me.

No comments: