Thursday, April 26, 2012

Falling in Love Again

As a child, I fixed on the stars.  I wanted to see them up close and personal.  A family friend had a telescope, and I wanted one, too.  Instead, I got a beautiful National Geographic book about the universe.  It was good, and I was pleased.

When satellites circled the earth, I tracked them till my neck hurt.  When a dog or a man flew in a capsule, I pictured myself there, looking out a window or a porthole.  I didn't know what I'd see, but I knew it would be beautiful.

The summer that astronauts first landed on the moon, I watched on a black-and-white television with fellow college actors in Boston.  Only when the capsule opened and Armstrong descended the steps did we dare to breathe.



Later, I watched space shuttle flights, and still later I obsessed over the incredible photographs made possible by the Hubble.

And now, today, I read about a man who has found small meteorites from the fireball that streaked across the western sky just this last weekend.  In his photograph, he holds a small bit of carbonaceous chondrite, dating back four to five billion years.  

Billion with a B.  

The time of the early formation of the solar system.

Imagine: holding the beginning of time in the hand.

I can imagine that when I look into the iris each spring.  Cells sparkle with starlight in the inward-turning petals.  The center spirals fiery color outwards.  The blossom opens and then folds in on itself, like a universe bending and expanding in time.

I have not traveled to the stars, but I saw them today.

No comments: