Thursday, June 7, 2012

A Beautiful Place

Tonight, over beer and crackers, my sometime neighbor, a friend, and I chatted.  The neighbor is not so sure she wants to return with her husband to live here for many reasons, among them the retrograde politics in the state.  Our friend, however, made the point that she is living in the most beautiful place she has ever enjoyed.
I feel the same way.

I can't control the big issues out there -- war, health insurance, bigoted policies -- and I can't waste too much of my time in a swivet about them.  Oh yes, I read the news, and I complain, and I wonder why my votes don't seem to make a difference.

But I am becoming more like Thoreau with every passing day.  I want to focus on what lasts, like this moment at a pond where a single dragonfly rests and think, I am lucky to be here.

Now.

No comments: