Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Of Shells

One great-niece whines I can't when she wants something that requires asking, say a cup of water in the ice cream shop.  Another great-niece says I will and then leads her older sister to the counter where she requests water for them both.

When he was a child, their father, like his oldest daughter, suffered in silence before asking a clerk for anything.  Once I took him to McDonald's, but refused to order for him.  He wanted a burger and fries so badly that he finally spoke to the counter clerk, though not without suffering greatly.

What is it that makes some people so reluctant to speak up and others so willing?  Some carry can't like a protective shell and suffer anyway, while others leave it behind.


May all my Greats move through their lives, strewing shells of former selves to make room for the people they become.

2 comments:

Chrissine said...

I love the thoughts here. I'm reading a book called Mindset (Dweck) that you might find interesting. It's how people have either a fixed mindset or a growth mindset. Those with fixed mindsets avoid situations where they might not do something perfectly or correctly. My guess is that yours, like mine, is a mindset of growth. (Of course, this might not have anything to do with whether or not someone speaks up, but it's what came to mind.)

Robley H said...

I'm going to look into that book, Chrissine. Thanks for the recommendation! I definitely have a growth mindset. Today, especially, after my walk and a glance at my photographs, I thought, What the heck am I going to write about? And then BANG it came to me. I think that's growth, isn't it?