Thursday, June 21, 2012

It's Not Always about the Photographs I Take

Yes, the Calico Pennants are beautiful, the Slaty Skimmers impressive, the juvenile Widow Skimmer intricate, but they aren't what I will remember from this morning's walk.


While I shot a Slaty Skimmer, the bush trembled with a fluttering, settled, fluttered, then parted.  In the sun splash, a smallish bird appeared -- gray wings and head, white underpants, lemon yellow breast.  Just as suddenly, he disappeared, whether on wing or by leap I don't know.  A vision like a magic trick, unexpected and breathtaking.  Friend and blogger David Haskell suggested I saw a Yellow-breasted Chat, described by Cornell's All About Birds as "easily overlooked because of its skulking nature and the density of its bushy haunts." 

I rounded the hill to the beach path, where I crouched to shoot a female Calico Pennant just beyond my reach in a thicket of grass and wildflowers.  She tempted me to lean further and further in, and I lingered long.  In the woods at my back, a deer snorted and choughed, snorted and choughed, moving steadily from my left to my right, warning me that I was invading cervine territory.


The Chat, the doe, and I: fellow skulkers of morning.

No comments: