Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Everyone Eats

In her Tuesday blog post, which I read this morning, my friend Sarah held a tiny bunny, eyes closed and ears back, and wrote a gentle scold, "I must not climb out of my nest box and get lost and cold and hungry."  A lovely post that encouraged me to write, "I hope that teeny thing didn't die!"  (It didn't.)

And then I remembered: that bunny is being raised to be eaten by Sarah and her husband. 

Walking later with a new friend at Lake Cheston, someone who has started this month to study and photograph dragonflies and damselflies, I saw a female Pondhawk haul her breakfast to a nearby bush.  "Look!" I said and crept closer.  He watched the gruesome event through his binoculars as I took pictures. She opened her great jaws (if one can call them that) and pulled the newly emerged, still living Calico Pennant in.


I ran into Sarah later, who told me when I showed her the photograph,  "That Pennant will provide all the food the Pondhawk needs for her eggs."  

Bunnies and dragonflies -- popular figures in art intended for children and the child-like -- cute and beautful and edible.

No comments: