Sunday, December 9, 2012

A Two-day Post

In just about 24 hours, including travel and sleep time and in no particular order, I

  • saw my nephew and two great-nieces dance in The Nutcracker
  • ate red beans and rice
  • drank two sips of a dreadful pumpkin ale
  • discussed the qualities of light with my niece (we agree that nothing substitutes for incandescent lighting)
  • explained why her mother and I were not being rude to a five-year-old great-niece when we commented on the owners' seeming lack of interest in the house where I grew up
  • ate Christmas cookies
  • delivered a birthday present and one Christmas present
  • took photos of the Alabama-North Carolina cousin set
  • saw a brother I had not seen in a couple of years
  • met a new member of my extended family
  • hugged little children till they couldn't be hugged any longer
  • walked along the shoreline of a bird sanctuary
  • filled up the car twice
  • drove 337 miles round-trip (in two different ways)
  • did no work
  • and accessed no computer.

I lived without distraction and with joy.

No comments: