Friday, December 21, 2012

The Osage Orange

Dear Jim,

Thanks for today's tip about the Osage Orange tree near Fulford Hall. After closing the shop, I drove over, parked, and walked into the construction zone area around the sidewalk, where I found dozens of fruits.

A squirrel was busy exploring one fruit, so I thought, Oh, it's edible! But no, he was scurrying to pull a nut out from underneath the fruit to carry it to his hidey-hole.



After looking at and photographing the fruits and tree, I came home and read a bit about the Osage-orange (or Osage Orange; I have discovered both spellings). Among the many interesting tidbits about the fruit is this passage from the Wikipedia article:

"The fruit was once used to repel spiders by placing one under the bed. Various studies have found elemol, an extract of Osage orange, to repel several species of mosquitos, cockroaches, crickets, and ticks. One study found elemol to be as effective a mosquito repellant as DEETA patent was awarded in 2012 for an insect repelling device using Osage orange."

Perhaps I should look for that "insect repelling device" next spring since I am so allergic to DEET.  

Meantime, please know that I appreciate your heads-up.

Sincerely,
Robley

No comments: