Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Of Good Friends and Sugar



Each year, my generous New Orleans friends the Joneses, whose three daughters I once taught, send me two generous gifts: a smoked turkey at Christmas and a king cake at Mardi Gras. The sugar blast arrived today, and my first slice (second bite) offered up the biggest baby -- butt first -- I have ever seen. 


I commend the baker for staving off unintended choking and lawsuits, not just by the warning on the package, but by the size of this fat baby. No mistaking this one for a crunchy bit of cake.


I don't do Mardi Gras. (I didn't do it when I lived in New Orleans for more than 20 years, unless one counts completing taxes and trimming the hedge on Fat Tuesday as "doing Mardi Gras.") But I sure do king cake . . . and I celebrate good friends!


















No comments: