Tuesday, January 15, 2013

One Year Ago Today

The sun shone.  

I walked to Cedar Hollow Lake, where  emerald and turquoise water rushed out of the lake and down the hill.  A beautiful day shadowed by worry about a friend (my former student and the daughter of a friend), fighting to recover from a horrific accident.  I remember hunkering there where I had photographed a female Fragile Forktail fighting to maintain balance, eating an inchworm, and I thought of my friend, wrestling in a hospital room, lying suspended, unconscious, so many working to help her heal body and brain, so many thinking of her.
January 15, 2012: a beautiful dark day.

Now one year later, I see her photograph on Facebook.  She's holding a child and smiling, the same beautiful face I've known for twenty-five years beaming with joy in her living and her life, and her image brings the sun to yet another foggy day in Sewanee.  

No comments: