Friday, February 15, 2013

Like upturned circus tents

for The Borrowers, my five small sets of crocus quietly open and close beneath the bare azalea limbs.

There are so many things to love about crocus:
  • hardy blooming in sun and warm temperatures, freezing temperatures and snow
  • reliable return each year 
  • spread into their little patches like small gossip groups
  • cheerful deep purple and preppie stripes
  • orange tongues
  • pollen polyps like polka dots
  • sun-shadowed cups

Recently, I have seen (in several places) beautiful photographs of tulip fields in the Netherlands, and I dream of planting crocus everywhere in the yard, creating my own swath of Seurat to enjoy each winter/spring. This fall, perhaps, will see the beginning of something big.

Meantime, I'll enjoy the something small that makes me smile, going and coming.

No comments: