Monday, May 20, 2013

Another Reason to Love Facebook

Last night, I messaged friends for advice about my broken camera and about other possible cameras. I went to bed sad and sick, my brain exploding. 

Mind you, this broken camera (now enclosed in a bag of rice to cure moisture, if that's the problem) is the camera that my deceased friend Betsy left me and that I used to photograph a card a day for my best college friend when he was dying of cancer. This is the camera that has given me pleasure every day for many reasons.

When I woke this morning, I tried the camera and discovered it was definitely still broken. I posted this status update: "I hoped it was a dream, but no, the camera is still dead dead dead."

A couple of hours later, a former student messaged me to say she was going to list her G12 today on eBay because she prefers her Nikon. Would I like to have it instead? In exchange for some photos?

In less than twenty-four hours, I have gone from bereft to grateful for the generosity of friends, one of whom wrote in response to my "What luck!!!!": "Dat ain't luck, baby -- dat dere is karma that you're building all the time."

Yes, and love.

No comments: