Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Some Consideration

Before I started walking with my camera, all I knew about Lake Dimmick was the slogan "Save Lake Dimmick." About eight years ago, a local controversy erupted regarding possible development of luxury homes along the shore of the lake. Folks grew heated, slapped stickers on their cars, protested at a Regents meeting, and argued vociferously against the plan for an "active-lifestyle-type residential development." The plans were halted, and folks celebrated. Today, the College lauds the decision to terminate development.


But another protest quietly continues unabated at the lake. As I start across the dam, I stop each time to read the sign about the gift of Day Lake by the gentleman who built it and donated the land. It was subsequently named in honor of an Episcopal priest. Someone has scratched into the bronze, "save DAY Lake" and "shame on U of S."


I've heard locals (i.e., not University folks) call it Day Lake, and the road in is still called Day Lake Drive. Ask Google maps to find Lake Dimmick, and here's what you'll see: "Your search did not match any locations." Now try Day Lake.


View Larger MapBefore I became interested in walking with my camera, all I knew about Lake Dimmick was the slogan "Save Lake Dimmick."

Day Lake or Lake Dimmick: a fine place for a walk and thoughtful consideration of town, gown, development, and nature's plan.

No comments: