Wednesday, June 12, 2013

A Few Facts about Dragonflies

Last week, one of my grand-nieces asked, "Is it true that dragonflies live only one day like Mom's card says?"

I was taken aback. "No," I said. "They spend most of their lives in the water, much longer than a day. And when they emerge, they can live a couple of weeks or months. It depends on the species, I think. At any rate," I added, "they can have a lifespan from just a few months to a couple of years."

I could tell by her face that she didn't believe me.

It's strange how misinformation spreads even to the young.

Here are a few facts:


Dragonflies warm themselves in the sun.
Dragonflies eat.
Dragonflies swim before they emerge and fly afterwards (so long as their wings open correctly).
Dragonflies perch and some male dragonflies patrol their territory aggressively.
Dragonflies cool off by extending their abdomens upright, rear toward the sun.
Dragonflies mate.
Female dragonflies oviposit their fertilized eggs into water or plants in the water.
Dragonflies die.


No comments: