Wednesday, November 6, 2013

King in the Mountain

Meet Hentzi mitrata (I think), king in his mountain of stump. 


He has spun his silk from fissure to fissure and defends his domain with bravado far greater than his diminutive size. He's a jumping spider, which he proved again and again. Every time I managed to get my camera's focus on him, he disappeared and then reappeared in another place entirely. 

At lunch today, someone said that those who paint or draw move in the world in a way that allows them to make art. If so, this little spider is an artist painting a kind of concentrated energy that says, Behold! Bow, you who see me. I am Lord of the Realm.

And bow I did.

Some day, I might have the kind of camera and lens
that will let me do him justice. View this and weep with me.

No comments: