Sunday, November 24, 2013

What Holds Things Up

I
During mass in St. Peter's Square today, the Pope held a reliquary, supposedly containing bone fragments of the original Peter. As reported by Bryony Jones for CNN, ". . . with no DNA evidence to conclusively prove their identity, whether they belong to St. Peter is likely to remain an enduring mystery. CNN's Vatican analyst John Allen says that like so much concerning religion, the belief that the bones are those of the disciple comes down to faith."

II
Also reported in the last couple of days is this science news. In 2008, "Utah's Cedar Mountain Formation" gave up the bones of the largest dinosaur yet found: Siats meekeroroum, a "new apex predator dinosaur that lived alongside and likely competed with early tyrannosaurs around 98 million years ago." For CNN, Greg Botelho reported, "Given its size and other characteristics, they believe this creature ruled its ecosystem in the middle of the Cretaceous, a period known as the last in the so-called 'Age of Dinosaurs.'"

III
Only after she died did I realize that my sister-in-law Brenda acted as the family pier, at least so far as I am concerned. From the moment my nephew was born, I was invited to every holiday event. Because my brother did the inviting, I always assumed the invitation was his idea. Not so, I learned, too late to thank her properly.

IV
Receding water at the lake reveals more and more of the metal pilings supporting the bridge nearest the parking hill. Iron, I think, and round, painted a bit like weathered gray-white-and-orange barber poles, they match the leaf-litter on lake bottom, compiling a painterly vignette in lowering sun.

V
So many hidden things hold others up, and when they are uncovered, they may stun.

No comments: