Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Long Shadows

I read for pleasure and for a living. A lot. Every day. Seven days a week, 365 days a year. 

Sometimes, I can't shake the words and the responses I have to them.

Today, I read a woman's discussion of ethics in which she stated two startling and, to me, contradictory facts of her morality: she is a Christian and she doesn't understand "animal ethics." When others present a point of view embracing ethical concern for animals, for example, she does not understand that view. She doesn't hold with that opinion, as it were.

And yet . . . if life is precious for one, I think, isn't it precious for all? Does she have pets? Does she care for them? What would she feel if she saw an animal suffering in her own yard? Would she do anything? Feel anything?

The small group of two adult and two young does that makes its winter home my yard has been here for several days now. What they find to eat is a mystery to me, but they pull up small somethings from the grass, and they nestle and sleep under old vines and against big stumps. Behind me, in the ravine on the college's land, bow hunters wait. I think the deer know this, as I do not see them head that way till dark. 

I do not wish the deer harm. They have needs just as I do for shelter, warmth, food, and even each other. I do not wish the hunters harm. Their work helps to reduce the large herd that threatens itself with population growth and that threatens the forest. I do not wish the forest harm. I do not wish the woman who doesn't believe in "animal ethics" harm.

But I do wonder if the harm caused by views like hers cast long shadows on all of us and not just me.

No comments: