Monday, February 24, 2014

Freshman Stone Sculptor

"Hi!" I said. "A young Andy Goldsworthy!" And when he looked puzzled, I added, "He's an artist who stacks stones and rocks just like you!"

"Really?" And then, "Hi!"

"Have you never heard of him?" He shook his head no, but seemed interested. "Go to the library and I bet you'll find Rivers and Tides in the movie section."

"Oh, great," he said. 

"When did you start this?"

"A little while ago. I saw a photograph this morning and thought it would be cool to try myself. It's not as hard as it looks," he said.

As I took his picture, he told me he's a freshman, planning to major in anthropology. No art background, but plenty of curiosity and openness to the possibilities of stones and chance encounters.


"Your work is beautiful," I told him and turned back toward the path.

"Thanks!" he said, and then, "What's the guy's name again?"

"Andy Goldsworthy! Look him up!

"I will! Have a great day," the freshman stone sculptor called, and turned back to his work.

Beautiful things crop up in Abbo's Alley.

No comments: