Wednesday, February 4, 2015

The Bluebirds Have Returned!

I
February 28, 2014

By this time last year my own bluebird had been knock, knock, knockin' on the door and windows, asserting his domain in preparation of moving his Mrs. into the bluebird box. Two months after beginning the long preparations, Mr. and Mrs. Bluebird disappeared, thanks to a neighbor's cat.

I still haven't quite gotten over their absence. I had so wanted another crop of babies like the ones I had enjoyed the year before.

II
February 4, 2015
I have loved the bluebirds of Sewanee ever since I heard them sing and tap and saw them perch on telephone wires, leaping down to pluck a worm and watched them teach their young at the lake.

I have mourned their loss, but I have hoped for their return following my neighbors' move of themselves and their wandering cat.

III
Guess who?

The tapping was tentative, but my little cat's chattering and her sister's quick slither into the living room announced their return.


IV

The box is newly cleaned and re-hung. Welcome home! Come on, spring!


No comments: