Friday, August 21, 2015

At Walmart

Customer A:  Is this price per pound? Or for the whole bag? (holding a bag of green grapes)

Customer B:  Hmm. (bending down to read the sticker on the shelf) This says 1.09 a pound. But the package is marked for a lot more.

Customer A:  So . . . this is confusing.

Customer B:  I'll say. There’s a scale over there if you need it. I was hoping to find cherries. But it looks like they’re done.

Customer A:  Were the cherries good this summer?

Customer B:  Dee-li-cious.

Customer A:  Are you buying grapes?

Customer B:  No. But look at these beautiful raspberries! Only 3.99 for the whole package!

Customer A:  I can’t eat them. Diverticulitis.

Customer B:  Really? What a shame!

Customer A:  Yes, and I have a knee that doesn’t really work. But I just keep a’goin’. I had the other one fixed, but as long as this works, I'm ok. I’m just thankful I’m still here.

Customer B:  Yes, I know what you mean. I just came from a funeral.

Customer A:  Oh, I’m sorry. I lost my daughter at 26, my sister just a few years ago, my husband. But I’m still here! And I just had a big birthday!

Customer B:  Really? It couldn’t have been that big!

Customer A:  80! And I’m still goin’!

Customer B:  Seriously? 80? You don’t look more than 60!

Customer A:  Well, I’m 80 and my knee feels 80!

Customer B: But you’re here, and you’re walking, and driving, and shopping!

Customer A:  Yes, I just keep on movin’, thank God.

(both putting fruit in their baskets)

Customer B:  Good luck with those grapes!

Customer A:  It was great talking with you today. Thank tou!

Customer B:  Yes, it was. This has made driving down to Walmart worth it!

(they part.)


Coda: Customer B has enjoyed her raspberries, but not nearly as much as the conversation with a stranger.


No comments: