Monday, August 31, 2015

Extra-species Visitors

I
Northern Pearly Eye

I have learned the name of this annual visitor, whose arrival presages fall, always alighting on window or screen, front or back entrance windows, as if greeting me intentionally.



II
Red Dog

I need only head to the Day Lake Road ponds, and she will find me, trotting down Caldwell Road or down the path or through the woods, as she did today, tail wagging, swimming, wading, avoiding my camera station, waiting patiently for me till leaving, together; then standing at the end of the road, watching me, till I take the curve uphill.



III
Spreadwings

Just as I stepped onto the spongy moss of pond verge, they appeared, coupled, here, then gone, then there, then gone, me following left and then right, then back and forth, then waiting, till finally, after many wrong pictures, at least one right snap showed what I hoped: Sweetflag! the pair. I had hoped Sweetflag, but as it turns out, they're Southern. See the sad story unfold below.


(Oh, please, let it be Sweetflag.)

Addenda 

(August 31): A second photograph (and others) have me reconsidering. Maybe that dadgum pair are Spotted. Maybe Southern. Ugh. Photo below.)


(September 1): The expert has spoken. Ed Lam says Southern (he doesn't see two spots and the ovipositor isn't big enough). 

The hunt and frustration continue.



No comments: