Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Alternative Answers

I
Today, a postal worker asked, "What are you going to take a picture of?" when she saw my camera hanging down my back.

I answered, "Oh, I always walk with a camera and take all kinds of pictures."

"I got a great picture of [fill in the blank] last week," she said, and turned to a colleague to continue an ongoing conversation about children with colds.

I should have said, "I don't know."

Or I should have said, "Whatever I see."

Or I should have said, "Something beautiful."

But I didn't.

How could I have known I'd see J and Oscar reflected in the lake?
II
Just yesterday, two other people suggested I make a book or sell photographs.

I said, "I'm not so sure about that."

I should have said, "There are many really great photographers doing just that."

Or I should have said, "Who'd pay for it?" or "Who'd buy them?"

Or I should have said, "Why?"

III
Here's the thing: I like seeing whatever there is to be seen; I like wandering outside or driving somewhere new to wander there; I like learning things; I like technology; I like making things; I like using my mind and my hands and my eyes: I like . . .

I'll never be a great artist in anything (oh, I've tried lots of different forms of creative expression), but I'll always love rehearsal. I've written about it before in this blog and elsewhere: it's all about flow.

IV
This speaks for itself.




No comments: