Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Dump

Every Tuesday, a man under contract to the university picks up my garbage, which I keep hidden and stored at the end of my driveway. I pay a fee for this service. However, between pick-ups I can also drive to the dump and throw away my own stuff. I always do this with my cardboard -- broken-down shipping boxes and flattened box dinners and grocery packages. I should recycle everything, but my kitchen is so small that I can't find a way to save it.The dump is on University Avenue just up from Highway 41A. Last year, the university built a cell tower at the dump site, but Verizon challenged its placement, worried about the possibility of residual damaging chemicals in the soil. (A dump had apparently been there in years past.) Testing showed the site is clear, so we're all waiting for Verizon and other companies to put their equipment up. Maybe then residents, students, and visitors won't have to walk and drive around town looking for hot spots. I can't wait!

No comments: