Sunday, July 27, 2008

North Carolina

I have loved the mountains of North Carolina since 1959 when I first went to summer camp at Green Cove in Tuxedo on Lake Summit. After long days on the red clay tennis courts and biscuit-eating contests at dinner, I enjoyed evening programs like campfire, a beautiful and peaceful time for singing and friends and readings. When I became a counselor, I loved the nights after my cabin fell asleep when I played bridge in the Lodge or "stole" goodies from the food locker (an official would somehow produce a key) and cooked them in the kitchen or lay on the canoe dock counting stars with the lapping Green River and night critters as companions. I will be heading to North Carolina to visit family and friends in Brevard and Asheville and am looking forward to seeing them and the mountains again. I'll collect snaps while I'm there, though I may not be able to publish till I return.

No comments: