Saturday, July 5, 2008

Greens from the Garden

Every Saturday morning I sell homemade scones at the local green market. This morning I sold thirty chocolate, cranberry/orange, and currant scones. Afterwards, I visited my friends F&F. Faye has been suffering for a month with a bulging disc, so I thought some fresh blueberry scones and a short visit might cheer her up. I was right. While we chatted, Francis picked fresh greens from his garden: lettuces, arugula, and basil.

Here's what I celebrate today: two dogs who belong to neighbors but have made their home at F&F's; sun-warm greens, sweet and bitter and aromatic, that make a symphony with black olives, red pepper, cucumber, feta cheese, carrot, ground pepper, and oil and vinegar; hummingbirds zapping each other at the feeder; and old friends.

No comments: