Saturday, April 11, 2009

Another Bookbinder

After the storm raced through yesterday, an art faculty member came by for tea. We chatted about folk art, books (she too loves Annie Dillard), and bookbinding. At one point, we were both on the floor studying papers in my makeshift studio.She brought me a lovely little book wrapped with flocked paper and tied with silk ribbon. It inspires me to try a new approach to Coptic binding. Her first and last rows use kettle stitching, instead of repeating the chain pattern of the Coptic stitch. These simple stitches make a fine complement to the interior rows.
We also chatted about book design. Simplicity can be beauty, she agreed, when I commented that I prefer the most geometric and architectural details in my books.

How lovely after the howling Lear-ish winds to meet and make a gentle new friend.

No comments: