Tuesday, April 14, 2009

People Who Don't Like Cats

puzzle me. Why wouldn't anyone (unless allergic, and even then . . . ) like cats? I can only assume that they feel inferior to the feline who generally keeps things close to the vest and rarely demands attention (as do dogs).


To wit:

Today I encountered three different cats unknown to me but who immediately made me feel like one of the family. At one location, while parked and studying a map in my lap, I heard a soft plonk!, looked up, and smiled at the black-cat-with-white-chest-spot smiling at me. She then tried to crawl around and into my window, but finally satisfied herself with splaying her furry belly against the warm hood.

At another location, two cats -- one black-and-white and the other a beautiful tortie -- ran out to me as if I were their human. They then enthusiastically chased me wherever I walked, even trotting along, winding their way along and through my legs. Most enthusiastic and welcoming they were.

Surely, people would not object to these cats? What's not to like? Independence? Visual beauty? Size (perfect for a lap or bicycle basket)? Variety of coat? Friendliness? Purring? Grace? Playfulness? Agility?

I could go on, but why bother? Perhaps it's enough that
34% of American households live with a pet cat.

And I certainly know this:
I live with a cat, I have always lived with one (or two), and I like cats.

1 comment:

keramidogata said...

People who don't like cats (or animals for that matter) have no idea what they are missing out. I truly feel sad for them.

That said, I, too, cannot understand what's not to like. (Granted, I'm probably too crazy about cats to understand other people's ideas about them but still...)

I recently realised that one of the reasons I prefer cats to dogs is that winning the affection of a cat makes me feel good about myself. I cannot be all that bad when two loving felines choose to sleep on my pillow every single night.

PS (My blogger username means "alley cat" in Greek).