Thursday, April 30, 2009

The View from Here

I'm lucky.

Beauty surrounds me here atop the plateau and
in fields down below.

Today I witnessed beauty.


And I also witnessed cruelty.

A puppy, left alone outside, chained, nearly hanged himself by wrapping the chain so many times between a tree and his dog house and the run line that he was left nose up, straining not to strangle.

I happened upon him, trusted that he wouldn't bite, held him, released the snap, unwound the chain, and re-snapped him to the line.

It was hard to leave, but when I did, he wouldn't leave me -- I smelled him and his muck smeared my hands and his yapping and struggling echoed in my mind. They still do.

I can't know whether his human gives him affection or comfort. I can't know whether he will choke on another day. All I can know is that today I was there and today I did the little thing I could.

And then I drove back into the green.


No comments: