Sunday, May 8, 2011

Backwards Shuffle

After the first Sunday camp lunch, the girls would gather in the circular parking lot at the Lodge and wait. Soon, a red Jeep would roar past the tennis courts, dust flume following, and grind up the hill. At the top, Chief parked, got out, and grabbed a cloth sack, knotted, and a forked stick.

Time for our annual snake lesson.

With confidence and masculine grace (earned through years of mountain living), Chief explained the differences between harmless and venomous snakes, building up through the copperhead to the finale -- the rattlesnake. It's not when it's curled up you have to worry, he told us. He's reluctant to strike, Chief said; he'd rather mind his own business and you yours. Remember this: you can walk backwards faster than the snake can run at you.

Thanks, Chief, for instilling in me a life lesson. As I crept down to the lake's edge and stood on a rock to photograph this tiny wheeled blue damselfly pair, something slithered. I looked, and I scrambled back up the dam.

I am certain now that this specimen was only a water snake, but his color sure reminded me of Chief's snakes and lessons.I think he'd be proud to know that one of his girls remembered.

No comments: