Saturday, May 7, 2011

A Little Light

One advantage of a part-time job in a popular place is this: the opportunity to meet people who, like flowers in the woods, bring light to what might have been just another day.

This morning, a young alum (here for a wedding) chatted with me as he shopped. I asked as I always do, "What was your major?"

"English," he said.

"Have you done law school?"

"No, ma'am, though I got into two of them. I don't like what happened to my friends in law school."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"They became selfish. I didn't want that to happen to me."

"So what do you do?"

"I'm teaching in a charter school in Dallas. I love it."

Leaving at 4 AM in the morning so he can "spend the day with Mother," he takes with him a mug for himself, a key chain for a friend, an Indian spread for his sister, and four flower pillows for his mother.

As he left the shop, he turned and said, "I think I've done a good job spreading the love today."

I agree.

No comments: