Saturday, May 28, 2011

Five Favorite Summer Things

1. The Gardeners' Market: Waking at 5:45 to bake the scones, getting to the market by 7:15, setting up, photographing the beautiful flowers and checking out the brothers' produce, chatting with my regular customers and new ones, smiling at the children and petting the dogs, taking home produce like tonight's supper -- asparagus, Swiss chard, beets.

2. Scones. Nothing more need be said.

3. Neighbors in residence: chatting, hanging out, hearing children's laughter, seeing the lamps aglow at night.

4. Flowers: at the Market, the Lemon Fair, and the Community Gardens (where blooms are AKA butterfly magnets).

5. Odd encounters: a Blue Corporal dragonfly affixing himself to my new Insect Shield pants. (Uh, what happened to the shield?)

Welcome, summer! What a great time to hang out!

2 comments:

Joni said...

I love your list, Robley! Especially the scones. How do you fix Swiss chard? I only have a taco recipe for it.

Robley H said...

Joni, I just sauteed the chard leaves in olive oil with garlic. I saved the stems, and the next night I cut them, sauteed them with butter, then added cream, and reduced. I mixed these with pasta, which was even more delicious!