Thursday, May 26, 2011

Taking Stock

Yesterday, at Lake Cheston, I saw but could not photograph two dragonflies I had not yet seen this spring: a Comet Darner and what appeared to be a Twelve-Spotted Skimmer. Both zipped by too fast, several times, for my camera. I know I will eventually snap them, though.

And it's for that reason that I want to take stock now of the dragonflies and damselflies I have seen and photographed since early April. By doing so, I may commit them to memory before adding more.
  1. Common Baskettail (Epitheca cynosura) -- Corduliidae: Emeralds
  2. Stream Cruiser (Didymops transversa) -- Mcromiidae: Cruisers
  3. Gomphus Clubtail, Ashy or Lancet (uncertain) -- Gomphidae: Clubtails
  4. Lancet Clubtail (Gomphus (Gomphus) exilis) -- Gomphidae: Clubtails
  5. Blue Corporal (Ladona deplanata) -- Libellulidae: Skimmers
  6. Calico Pennant (Celithemis elisa) -- Libellulidae: Skimmers
  7. Eastern Pondhawk (Erythemis simplicicollis) -- Libellulidae: Skimmers
  8. Blue Dasher (Pachydiplax longipennis) -- Libellulidae: Skimmers
  9. Widdow Skimmer (Libellula luctuosa) -- Libellulidae: Skimmers
  10. Common Whitetail (Plathemis lydia) -- Libellulidae: Skimmers
  11. Fragile Forktail (Ischnura posita) -- Coenagrionidae: Pond Damselfies
  12. Skimming Bluet? (Enallagma geminatum) -- Coenagrionidae: Pond Damselfies
  13. Other Bluets -- Coenagrionidae: Pond Damselfies
  14. Violet Dancer (Argia fumipennis violacea) -- Coenagrionidae: Pond Damselfies

No comments: