Friday, June 3, 2011

Biking and Building

As a long-time teacher and current resident of a college town, I sometimes am discouraged by the selfishness of young people.

Today, I met two college-age students who know it's not about them. Having just ridden from Dunlap to Sewanee, they entered the shop and asked, "What's a Lemon Fair?"

I answered, "A New England river," and then asked my own question, "What brings you to town?"

Bike & Build was their answer. They are riding with a team of 30+ from Nag's Head to San Diego, for a total of 3584 miles. They ride, then stay in a city to work on a Habitat for Humanity or Habitat-like project, then ride, then stay, then build all the way to the West Coast. Affordable housing has found good friends in the eight teams of enthusiastic and committed folks like these two, whose trek I plan to follow now till their trip concludes in late July.

And I shall be happy knowing that he has a Lemon Fair sticker on his bike now!

1 comment:

Joni said...

I've never heard of Bike and Build before, Robley. What a cool (and exhausting!)concept!

I enjoyed looking through the store virtually too :-)