Thursday, June 23, 2011

A Little Light

1. 11 AM: I read that a previously unknown Caravaggio painting will be shown this September at The National Gallery of Canada. It doesn't look Caravaggio-esque to me, but my art historian brother says the authenticator is reputable and the painting possible. 2. 4:50 PM: I photograph a lightning bug, perched at the tip of leaf overlooking orange and red lilies, apparently grooming the luminous end of his abdomen with his last set of legs. 3. 5:30 PM: I search the Internet for an explanation of what I have seen and come upon a startling theory. According to Roberta Lapucci, a teacher at Florence's Studio Art Centers International, Caravaggio, the painter of strong directional light and shadow, may "have used a photoluminescent powder from crushed fireflies, which was used at the time to create special effects in theatre productions."

4. 8:25 PM: Fireflies lift their little lights, ascending from the ground in lowering darkness.




5. Caravaggio and fireflies: two of my favorite things. Such lovely companions.

No comments: