Tuesday, November 8, 2011

A Fire Within

This afternoon, between the rec center and University Avenue, one back-lit tree licked the sky like some tortured, enraptured El Greco figure afire on darkening ground. 


Across the triangle, another joined the hymn of autumn and sun, their duet a remarkable crescendo of yellow and orange and gold.


I was driving home, but had to stop to pay homage.  Just as I reached one tree, a policeman pulled up to the curb, stopped, got out, said, "Don't miss the other."

"Oh I'm walking there next," I said and added, "I was driving home but I had to stop to take pictures."

"I know what you mean.  Just the other day I took a picture of an alumni group in the same place.  Isn't it beautiful?" he asked, not expecting an answer.  "Only in Sewanee," he said before turning toward the gym.

















Maybe not only in Sewanee.  But only in Sewanee do these two particular trees flame into evening.

4 comments:

Joni said...

Just beautiful! We are finally getting some color around Raleigh too.

Kella said...

I love autumn trees too, Robley. This particular tree is gorgeous and I love the comparison to an El Greco painting. That made me giggle, swoon, and nod my head in staunch agreement.

Robley H said...

We should all share tree pictures as a celebration of fall!

Chrissine said...

Ha! More trees afire with fall. Very lovely, Robley!