Friday, November 18, 2011

Longlegged Flies

A lonely walk around Lake Cheston this morning.  

First ice -- patchy, disappointing.

Four flying geese -- too far away to photograph or record.

And a school of longlegged flies, an insect I had never before seen, probably because I couldn't see anything well until after my eye surgery in January.  

Tiny glints of sunlight, I thought they were, until I realized the flecks were flying and striding along the water with clear purpose.  Once I realized the silvery glints were diaphanous wings, I stalked them along the shoreline, even dropping a glove into the bourbon-colored water.

Finally, I managed two shots good enough for identification.  Bugguide to the rescue yet again: Longlegged Flies: Genus Hydrophorus.  Species: Unknown.  Here, I hit the wall.


Wonder why?

There are nearly 50 of them!

Perhaps I'll call mine Good Company on a Cold Day.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great shot. I wonder what these flies feed on? I'll keep my eyes peeled at Cheston this week.

Robley H said...

They darted about near the shore curving toward the open lake.

Joni said...

Love the light in these pictures!