Monday, August 8, 2011

Cards for Charley

Hospice begins later this week or early next week, Charley told me yesterday when we spoke.  He was on his way to Kerrville for an infusion of two units of blood today.

"May I call mid-week?"

"Yes, please," he said.  "The blood re-energizes me immediately."

"That's great," I said.

"I have to go, Love, but there's one thing I want to ask.  Please, please keep sending me those beautiful cards every day."

I promised I would.


Making cards for Charley one week at a time and sending them each morning are ritualized steps in letting go -- of a best college chum, of the pleasure of seeing him in small movie roles, of knowing that he and his wife have made a good life in Texas, of our shared experiences and memories, of our youth.

As I fold and glue this week's set, noting that I need more stamps, I wonder: For whom am I really making them?

1 comment:

Kella said...

Beautiful question and rumination, Robley. I love that you shared this story with your readers and most especially that you share your cards with Charley. Peace and love to both of you during this trying time.