Saturday, August 13, 2011

Sewanee Magic

The first time I drove into the Equestrian Center, I searched the barn for someone who could tell me how to find Farm Pond.  A friendly fellow named Ronnie said "Hop in" and drove me down the fire lane to the pond's dam.  On the way he told me about the land, the old dairy farm, the horses, and student riders with evident pride.

Today, I hitched a ride with him again, along with two dogs -- an unidentified dachshund and DanBobBo, a Mountain Feist. 

"DanBobBo?" I asked.

"Yes, ma'am," he said.  "The barn manager's son said his name was Dan.  The next week he changed his mind and said the name was Bob.  Then the next week it was Bo.  The name stuck: DanBobBo."

When I told Ronnie about my misadventure with the rattlesnake, he said, "Ma'am, Chestnut Lake has a whole lotta snakes, ma'am.  You might want to get a walking stick, ma'am.  A walking stick might be a real good idea, ma'am."

With that, I jumped out and waved while he called, "You get you a walking stick, ma'am!  Come on back any time, ma'am!"  Dogs trailing, he puttered down the side of the barn and out of sight.
Sewanee magic: people -- and dogs.

2 comments:

Margaret Albert said...

The Sewanee dogs are legend. Haven't been there in years but I have fond memories of the friendly dogs I met on walks during my visits.

Margaret Albert said...

The Sewanee dogs are legend. I haven't been there in some time, but I remember encounters with many friendly dogs during my walks. It was just another layer of the charm that is Sewanee.