Thursday, August 11, 2011

Two for One

Having forsaken Lake Cheston for distant ponds, I returned today and immediately saw another damselfly: the Swamp Spreadwing (Number 23).


After taking many frustrating photographs of the tiny creature in the shadows, I headed to the dam, thinking I would merely walk around the lake for exercise.  A single Halloween Pennant caught my eye, however -- the first I've seen outside of those at Farm Pond.  On my scramble down to the stones at the shore, I lost my balance, tossed my camera into the grass to protect it, and fell hard against my left shin.  I got a decent picture, though I am still wondering why I saw only one pennant.


On the way round the far side, I spied a golden-colored dragonfly on the edge of a leaf, and just as I was about to snap its picture, a boisterous family of three rounded the pathway curve.  I got a couple of fuzzy photos before the threesome chased off my target.  A quick post to Bugguide identified her as an Autumn Meadowhawk (Number 24).  Snap!  I had taken photos several weeks ago of tenereals scattered all around the lake, and although I had been unable to identify them then, I now know they were the immature Meadowhawks!


Back tomorrow for more of the same, I hope.

(All but the fall, that is.)

2 comments:

Joni said...

Sorry about the fall, Robley! I hope you aren't too sore today.

What I noticed in these shots was the way they each hold on.

Robley H said...

If only I'd had something to hang onto!

Did you notice that one perches atop a leaf, another mid-stem, and still another atop a blade of grass or reed? I have learned that where a dragonfly or damselfly perches helps to identify the critter. So much to know!