Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Good Things Come in Threes

One
On the way to the forestry cabin, I saw not one, but two remarkable orb weavers' webs -- the kinds I've only read about before.
Although the pond's bank was too steep and too high in grass for me to feel safe, I discovered mating robber flies and softball-size mushrooms dotted with dew.


Two
Halfway across the teeter-totter stones to the dam of Chestnut Lake, I heard this fellow, crouched under the shelf of rock below, rattle -- just once.  I admired him from a safe distance, channeling my inner Green Cove girl, watching him unravel and travel uphill into cooler grass.
I pondered crossing anyway to the dam with its waist-high grass, but thought better of it.

Three
Lake O'Donnell teemed with grasshoppers, butterflies, dragonflies, and forested vistas, but the true views were these: a shimmering green bee and one mid-day katydid.



No comments: