Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Charles and Ray Eames

Stamps are expensive these days, but that doesn't mean they have to be boring. When I went to the post office yesterday to buy three lovely summer-fruit postcard stamps (I forgot to mail the postcards from North Carolina, of course), I also bought 42-cent stamps.

I asked the woman at the counter for commemoratives. (I never buy the regular stamps, which are always a little too patriotic or too blah for me.) She said they didn't have any really pretty ones at the moment and proceeded to show me two different kinds of hearts, Frank Sinatra, and something about baseball.


Just when I was thinking she was right, she turned the page to the Charles and Ray Eames stamps, one of which had just arrived on an envelope at my house. How could she say these weren't beautiful? I love them!
I don't know much about architecture and decorative arts, but I know I love some of their furniture. And I did not know until I read the back of my stamps that they were a married couple! How could I have missed that before?My favorite chair (on the lower right) is called the "molded plywood chair." Here's what the stamp sheet says: "The molded plywood chair was affordable, comfortable, and could be used in virtually any setting -- qualities inherent in most pieces of Eames furniture. It was also one of the Eameses' most popular designs. Introduced in 1946, the chair was mass-produced using a method for bending or molding plywood that they had developed during the 1940s." I'm not sure these are still so affordable. A Herman Miller reproduction can be purchased on eBay as of this moment for $355.90!

The Library of Congress has posted a terrific website about the Eameses. Another terrific site has been posted by the Design Museum.

No comments: