Saturday, August 16, 2008

Friday Night Movies

I have an elderly friend who loves movies and ice cream, and since I love movies and ice cream, we have a mutually beneficial agreement: almost every Friday night, I bring the movie (courtesy of Netflix) and she supplies the ice cream.

Last night when I arrived, she was doing her breathing exercises. Since my great-nieces have been hooked up to similar equipment before, I knew that even though the contraption looked scary, it actually isn't. But she looked sort of strange, sitting on her throne (her couch), surrounded by miscellaneous articles and newspapers and books, tissues and TV clickers, food packets and the like. I just had to take her picture.

Once she finished and I made my bowl of German chocolate cake and she got her leftovers for dinner, we watched a terrific movie -- Charlie Wilson's War. I'm not exactly sure how much of it is historical, but it was a thrilling political film that suggests some of the previous wrong steps we've taken to lead to our current global conflict with Islamists.

By the way, here's an amusing note about Marymor (nicknamed Boo): she was in the very first class at Metairie Park Country Day School and, as a child, lived in the old McGehee's building on Louisiana Avenue. Small world department strikes again!

No comments: