Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Facebook

This summer, when I visited my niece and her family in North Carolina, she suggested I join Facebook.

Why, I asked.

Because you connect with old friends, she said.

But I don't want to see what my students are up to, I said.

She said, you'll be sorry. It's great.

So I joined Facebook, and . . .

I can avoid looking at what my students are doing by just not looking at their pages . . .

and I have already connected with many former students from New Orleans. I have seen photos of their weddings and read about babies and upcoming weddings and new jobs and relocations and . . . I love those girls. I mean young women.

And I have missed running into former students and their mothers and fathers at PJ's or Starbucks on Maple Street or at Lebanon's Cafe on Carrollton or at the alum Easter party at McGehee's.

Facebook, as my niece promised, has been a wonderful adventure.

She's a smart cookie.

No comments: