Monday, August 25, 2008

End-of-Summer Gifts

My friends Jill and Ronn shared more of the bounty of their garden: little blue-purple potatoes, one creamy yellow tomato, two lovely little Roma tomatoes, and a whole mess of okra. Theirs is a deer-fencing protected garden, so they manage to grow vegetables (Ronn told me he gave away 30 cucumbers yesterday) and flowers. It's a magical place. And my dinner was equally magical. I'll let the two photographs speak delicious volumes for me. I am saving the glorious okra for tomorrow.(There is no picture for this part of my blog entry. First thing this morning, at school, I did a dumb thing. I am embarrassed to admit that I sent an invitation to Shelfari (originally sent to me by a New Orleans friend back in January) to everyone in my Gmail contacts instead of just to my students, and I did so completely unitentionally! While 16 14-year-olds fluttered about helplessly in class, calling my name and requiring my help, and while the Internet was as slow as lard still in a can, I pushed the wrong button and bingo! 670 contacts got invited! Argh. The great thing is that almost two dozen old friends and former students emailed me! One is an oil engineer in Texas; one is teaching in NOLA; an old friend from Vanderbilt updated me on his family from South America; one lives in Oregon and teaches online with Kaplan University; two mothers of former students wrote me about their reading; and a McGehee graduate of 1972 said I was the best thing to happen to her in an otherwise hectic day. Something good can come even from a careless mistake, and that's even better than my dinner!)



No comments: